Monday, June 16, 2014

Echoes

Ihave created an echo chamber for myself. I don't think it's healthy. Most of the people with whom I surround myself agree with me and validate me. It feels good. I enjoy it. But again, I don't know if it's the right way to go. I don't know if that's the way to grow. On Facebook I have unfriended or stopped following most of the people who I know don't agree with me. And I can give you all the reasons why that was the "right" thing to do. I try to avoid certain conversations with my family because they inevitably turn to fighting and crying. And I am just as guilty as anyone else when I say that it's hard to respectfully disagree with someone. We want to be validated. We want hear people who agree with us. But sometimes we need to hear people who disagree. We need to listen to other side of the argument and do so without fear or anger.

I wrote a big long post all about why I and my righteous indignation are right. And I am still upset. All those same feelings are there, but I am trying really hard to breath deep and find the strength to be humble. It's not easy, but I'm trying.

No comments: