Friday, October 16, 2009

It May Be Ironic, But...

I love cemeteries because they are like monumental living pieces of art - growing more beautiful with time. When I picked up my parents from the airport, I took a little more notice of the cemetery on the same street and thought to myself that I'd like to come back and spend some time there. So, when I was getting ready to take them back to the airport for their flight home, I grabbed my camera and thought, if the boys fall asleep, maybe I can take a little time. Well, they did - so I did. And now, I just want to do it again. Seriously, it's a gorgeous cemetery.
IMG_6328
I was really loving the statues with the immortalized looks of love and compassion...
IMG_6333
... and years of moss growth which created such beautiful textures and depth.
IMG_6369
It was a cloudy day which just made these black and white shots perfect - not too many harsh shadows competing with the natural patina, which is gorgeous!
IMG_6350
There were also many more mausolea (above ground tombs) than our cemetery here in Ames.
IMG_6345
I happened upon this little head stone by accident. It had just been propped up against this tree. I don't know where it came from.
IMG_6338
There were so many trees and hills in this cemetery. It wasn't even very big, but there was just so many tombs and headstones and monuments.
IMG_6378-2
As with all cemeteries it was very peaceful and serene.
IMG_6382-6
An especially endearing feature was this red brick road that twisted through part of the cemetery. As I was driving up this particular stretch of it I was struck by the beauty and charm of this winding uphill trail.

Really though, this cemetery was just so gorgeous.

Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine