Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I'm In The Garden

This being my first garden, I don't know much, but I have a great mentor - Leah. She gives me dirt from her pile of dark, rich Iowa dirt. It's full of earth worms. I hear that's a good thing. Yuck.
IMG_4657
But when I found this tire, I straight away called her and asked her if I could have some more dirt and if it was too late to plant some more seeds and plants. Nope, not too late. In fact, apparently you can plant green beans all summer long.
IMG_4662
Anyhow, so first lay down some newspaper. With the first garden, I just laid it down, but then I had a hard time planting - well digging the holes. I had to break up the paper a lot to make the holes deep enough. It was hard. So this time I ripped up the paper before I put it down. Although with the tire, the soil was deeper, so I didn't even get down to the paper. Oh well.
IMG_4696
Then you plant your stuff. This time, I did an artichoke plant. Yum! I love me some artichoke. I also did onions and green beans.
IMG_4693
See that dirt? Crazy.
IMG_4638
And the first part of the garden is growing so well! My tomato plants have tripled in size! And my cucumbers and squash plants have sprouted and get a little bigger every day.
IMG_4635
And my pepper plants have these big ol' droopy leaves. I've noticed some bunnies hopping around though. I need to get my chicken wire up so I can keep them out! No bunnies eating my veggies! I want them!
IMG_4702
Israel enjoys it when I'm working outside. He usually comes over to help me, but he also enjoys playing on his slide or swinging in the hammock. Let's be honest, he just simply likes being outside. And so do I.

Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine

7 comments:

Erica said...

what a neat idea using the tire. I want so bad to start a garden. yours looks and sounds great :)

Chantal said...

I love seeing pictures of your back yard! so pretty! and your garden looks great!

Jenny Lynn said...

i dont think i have ever seen pictures of your back yard. it is stunningly gorgeous, i can't wait to come and visit someday soon. and i love the tire, its so fun!

Amy said...

WOW! I never thought of a tire being used as a planter. Very creative. It does look like Israel has a good time back there. I think a hammock sounds good.

Susan (Mommy) said...

Are you kidding me? Your whole life I had a garden. And I am not you mentor? Sob. Just kidding. Looks great and it is so much nicer having a garden when more then just weeds grow. How many plants did you put in one tire? I tried growing potatoes in a tire here, I got stew, it wasn't edible but it was hot.

Becca said...

I love your pictures!! I wish I could take pics like that

Charmaine @ randalswife said...

Yes, Mommy, you always had a garden and told us what to do and when to water. This is the first one that is MINE and I don't remember all that stuff! I know, I'm a bad student!