Saturday, May 30, 2009

Was It Worth It?

Oh yeah. When Elijah woke up this morning after I had only gotten a few hours of sleep he was ready for some attention. So he and I went out. Luckily here in the midwest it's too cold for garage sales that start at 5 or 6 in the morning - unlike Phoenix - or perhaps it's just living in a small town. But pretty much all the garage sales start at 8 (or even later!), so when I'm up before 9 on a Saturday I know I can still get good stuff at the garage sales. I should tell you, we also went to the farmer's market and the grill shack in front of Cub Foods (for the best dang hamburger in all of Ames!!). So, was it worth it being up before 9 on a Saturday? It so was.
IMG_4596
No, I don't have a daughter, but I'm projecting! Plus, I just couldn't pass up this pink cashmere outfit. And the little hat with the flowers. How sweet! And I really love the white knit coat with hood. Size 18mos. I can just imagine a sweet little girl wearing this to church. Aww...
IMG_4610
I love this sweet little pram. At first I thought it was just a toy one meant for a little girl, but it is almost the same height as my double pram which I would guess is about 20 years newer and definitely made for real-life use. Anyhow, I love this thing though. It's pretty dirty and the fabric is faded in places. But it's got some really great whimsical details.
IMG_4611
This detail on each side of the pram is just brilliant. I should try and do some research and see it I can find a maker. That would be cool.
IMG_4613
I can't get the shade to stay up, but it's got gorgeous fringe trim on it. This thing really needs a good cleaning though. Once it's clean I don't know where I'll put it though - in the guest room, in my room, in the front room - where?!
IMG_4606
These two lovely quilts were my super finds of the day garage sale-ing. Had I found nothing else today but these two quilts, I would have been happy. They are well loved and well worn, but I just love the whites and blues and yellows and pinks.
IMG_4601
Absolutely gorgeous! I'm trying to figure out the best way to display them though. I really really really love them and want them to be seen.
IMG_4603
This one was possibly made by a woman from Maxwell, IA. The woman who sold it to me said she thought it came from her sister-in-law's mother. Her sister-in-law was born in 1940.
IMG_4604
After I bought the first quilt, the other lady selling her stuff at the garage sale, said she had a quilt she would sell me. She went inside and brought out this beauty.
IMG_4605
I think she said that it was her mother's, but she might have said it was hers. I'm trying to figure out the math in my head, but the tv is on and I don't have great concentration. (It's So You Think You Can Dance on the tv.)

I also got some pictures and a giant gold picture frame - really cool. Gotta find something to put in it. Any ideas?

Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine

6 comments:

number17cherrytreelane said...

AMAZING! You did so good and I would have been thrilled with those quilts too! SO GREAT!

Brittany said...

I was just thinking today I'd love a nice quilt for my guest room. Nice finds! I absolutely LOVE LOVE *LOVE* that hooded jacket!!!!!

Kristina P. said...

YOu found some great stuff! That pram is awesome.

Chrisy said...

Just dropped by via cherry tree lane...and my what fabulous finds! The pram! The quilts! Well done!

Susan (Mommy) said...

Just a little warning, when Daddy and I lived in Detroit I went to garage sales and I couldn't take all the stuff home that I bought! If you ever plan on comming home, you are going to have a hard time giving up all those treasures. BUT, I am glad that you are getting the back stories to your finds, and they are beautiful. By the way, AZ is home and don't you forget it!.

Amy said...

Yes yes and yes it was worth it.