Monday, April 06, 2009

Mon Petite Chou

Did you know in French "My little cabbage" is a term of endearment?  My uncle Jack taught me that a few years ago and it has always stuck with me.  Pretty funny.
Well, remember all that cabbage I used for the fruit topiaries and arrangements?  I needed to use it all up, so here is a post about all things cabbage for you!  It's only about slaws though, cause I don't much care for cooked cabbage, but I love cabbage in salads!

First things first, I had to shred up all that cabbage.  So, I got out my bargain store mandolin and got to shredding.  I love this thing.  I think I spent maybe $6 on it.  It is a work horse though.  I also have a Pampered Chef mandolin that I spent 10 times as much on, and I hate that thing.  It's sitting up in a cupboard just waiting for our next Relief Society exchange.  Anyhow, so I shredded it all up and put it in some big gallon Ziploc bags in the fridge.

First up was Apple Salad Coleslaw.  My family has a great fruit salad they make out of apples, called Apple Salad (easy, right?).   It's made up of apples, cheese, nuts, and dressing (and sometimes raisins, yuck).  In case you're wondering, the dressing is Miracle Whip, sugar, and lemon juice.  It's pretty easy, you just add the sugar and lemon juice until you get a good consistency and taste.  I have no idea on the proportions cause it has been awhile since I made it.  I got lazy and just started using Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing.  That stuff is like icing for salad! 

So, with Apple Salad Slaw, it's all the same stuff, but with some cabbage thrown in also.  I used Gala apples, a mixture of sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheeses (diced into little tiny pieces), and walnuts.

I just put everything in on top of the cabbage that was already in the bag.  So, combine all ingredients and mix, mix, mix.

Then serve it on and with something fancy.  If I was my sister, Clarissa, I might serve it on my apple luncheon plates, with fancy ribbon sandwiches.  But I'm not, so we had it with frozen pizza on paper plates.  It was still really good though.

---------
Up next is a basic Asian Coleslaw.

Ingredients include cabbage, raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds, marinated onions, cucumbers (served on the side in our house because Randal hates them), rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and toasted sesame seeds.

For the onions, I used sweet yellow onions and sliced them thin on my mandolin.  Put them in a Ziploc baggie with some rice wine vinegar and some toasted sesame seeds and marinate over night or 24 hours.  You can't begin to know how good these are.  I'm getting excited just thinking about them.

So, mix everything together and serve.

We had it with those yummy veggie burgers from Wheatsfield.  We reserved some marinated onions for the top of the burgers.  We also had Grammy's Fresh Salsa and some edamame.  It was a good meal.

--------
Next up is probably my favorite.

I call it Top Ramen Salad.  Although, you can see I didn't use Top Ramen brand ramen noodles.  What goes into this salad isn't nearly as important as the dressing though.  Here's the recipe for the dressing:
1/2 cup salad oil (I use Canola)
3 Tbs vinegar (I use red wine or apple cider)
2 Tbs sugar (don't use sugar substitute, it's not nearly as good)
1 packet ramen seasoning (pork ramen is the only way to go here - trust me)
1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds (more or less)
fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix everything up.  I usually double or even triple the recipe so I can have it for lunch for a few days also.
Now, you need to boil some chicken breasts.  If I am doubling the recipe I will boil 4 or 5.  Cook them until they can be shredded.  After you've shredded them, put them in the dressing to marinate until you are ready to serve.

Layer the salad like this: cabbage, ramen noodles, marinated chicken.  Toasted almonds, raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds, green onions, or even red bell peppers would also be good in this.  I usually just eat it basic like this though, because it's simple and so yummy!

----------
Now, I can't talk about cabbage without mentioning my Uncle Stephen (Uncle Jack's older brother, actually).  You see, Uncle Stephen eats cabbage for lunch every single day.  Usually, it's cabbage, Grammy's Fresh Salsa, Grammy's Turkey spread, raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and if there is some homemade creamy broccoli and garlic soup (lot's of garlic!) then that goes in there too.

So, here are the components for Uncle Stephen's Cabbage Lunch.

Grammy's Fresh Salsa (or Gaspatzo)
Now, I'm not exactly sure what goes into her salsa, I just did my best to recreate it.  And here's what I put in it.
4 large tomatoes
2-3 green bell peppers
1 large cucumber
1 small-medium onion
1 jalepeno pepper
1/4-1/2 bunch of cilantro
juice from 1 lemon
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Put everything in a food processor and go!

My food processor wasn't big enough, so I did it in batches and mixed it all together in a big bowl.  This stuff is really good, and my favorite way to eat it is with Wheat Thins.

Now for Grammy's Turkey Spread.  Using your food processor again, process turkey until it looks like this.  She probably cooks fresh turkey breasts and then does this, but I just used canned turkey.  You can also do this with chicken or roast beef - if you do roast beef, substitute ketchup for the mayo in the next step.

Next add some mayonnaise.  If you're my Grammy, you use organic Canola oil mayo.  If you're me, you use Best Foods Real Mayonnaise (here in the Midwest it's called Hellman's).  I used two 12.5oz cans of turkey and I would say it was a little less than a cup of mayo.  Now stir, stir, stir.  This stuff is really good.  It may not look like it, but it is.  

So, if you're Uncle Stephen, you eat this on your cabbage.  And I've done that also, it's good that way.

But I prefer it on toast.

With some fresh salsa on top.  Yumm.  In fact, this is what I am going to have for lunch today.

Any other good slaw recipes out there?

Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Wow, that all looks so delicious! And now I am super hungry!!

Valerie said...

Me too, you made me hungry. I like your blog I'm gonna have to definitely come back.

I am stopping by to welcome you to SITS. It's a great community and I know your gonna like it.

Sapphire said...

Wow! This blog post was chock full of great ideas!
Just dropped by to welcome you to SITS!

Julie said...

These all look great! I think I'll start calling my kids "my little cabbage" and see what they think :)

K said...

Way to use all that cabbage.

Welcome to SITS!

Furious Mom said...

mmm...it all looks so yummy!

Noah's Mommy said...

okay wow....that slaw made me so hungry....wonderful edible pics too....a Huge Welcome to SITS...I'm so excited you are here...

Jen said...

These are some fabulous ways to use cabbage. I love it.

BTW, I just wanted to welcome you to SITS.

Lisa M said...

That ramien slaw looks interesting! I'll have to try that one!

Just dropping by to welcome you to the SITStahood!

Have a great day!

Clarissa Jo Baxter said...

Everything looks so so delicious! and im happy that i made the post! haha :)

Eudae-Mamia said...

Seriously - I never knew cabbage was so versatile!

My youngest has PKU, so I'm always looking for recipes that I can adapt for a strict vegetarian diet.

I'm all over this post!! Thank you.

And welcome to SiTS! Em

gabybali said...

Hi Charmaine!Thanks for leaving comment on my blog www.beeamazing.com, so you haven't been to Bali? Well, I'll be your guide when you come here one day.

Your Apple Salad Coleslaw looks so yummy!!

You have a very colorful,creative and inspiring blog!!

Brandy said...

All of these look delish. I'll definitely try the salsa and the turkey/chicken spread recipes!

Welcome to SITS!

Susan (Mommy) said...

You are amazing! You make everything look so great.