Friday, April 03, 2009

It All Began with Goop

Yesterday morning when I woke up I had an email in my inbox form Gwyneth Paltrow.  Oh, didn't you know?  Gwyneth and I are great friends.  But this wasn't one of the many personal ones I receive, it was one of her Goop - Do emails.  Yesterday's email was about the toxins all around us, in food, water, air, etc.  So, it inspired me.  Sort of.


I decided to go shopping while Israel was at school.  Mainly, I wanted to go to the organic supermarket/co-op/locally grown food store and see what they had, but I had to get some other stuff also, like protein powder from GNC for a new diet I'm starting - or at least pretending to start.  Well, the GNC here is in the mall - and right next door to Claire's.  And wouldn't you know it, sitting right there in the very front of the store, just mocking me were the dang cutest rings I have seen for less than $75.  Actually, ever since I saw a friend wearing this huge silver rose ring I have been coveting one.  But, I just can't justify spending more than $20 right now.  So, at $7 each for these lovelies - I got two!

I could seriously wear them all day long!  There was also a purple one, but I was trying to moderate.  Now, had there been a yellow one, things might have gone differently.  Anyway, I did finally make it GNC and the protein powder was even on sale!  And eventually I made it to my organic supermarket, Wheatsfield.

Oh, yeah, it's totally organic, right down the gender-neutral hippie playing guitar in front of the store in support of an all vegan lifestyle.  I'm not kidding.  I think her homemade cardboard sign said something about protesting cruelty to animals since 1993.  I have to say, I'm impressed Wheatsfield, even here in little ol' Ames, you can find one of those to authenticate the place.

Now, if you've never been to an all organic supermarket you are really missing out.  And bigger Whole Foods stores don't count!  Anyway, the first thing you notice is the smell.  The wonderful, spicy aroma of organicization (I just made that word up).  But seriously, I love the smell of these places.  It just makes me feel healthier and like I'm one step closer to my goal of becoming a yoga instructor, going granola and living in Park City (what a life!).  So, after reading Gwyneth's take on why kids today are the way they are, I felt really good about buying the organic tangerines (the samples were heavenly), raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds, frozen buffalo burgers, and some other vegetarian burgers that had spinach and cheese and who knows what else - but they were really really good for dinner last night.  I even tried sweet and sour tofu - and liked it!  Next time, that's what I'm getting us for dinner!

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what it was about yesterday, but I just felt good.  And that felt good.
Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I've realized, after reading her website, that she is sort of crazy.

Charmaine said...

Yeah, she is a little bit.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

You have NO IDEA how I wish I had an organic supermarket anywhere nearby. I don't even have easy access to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, so I am a little envious of your whole organic shopping day. It sure sounds fun.

And the rings? Love them - cute!

Dropping by to welcome you to SITS - glad to have you join us!

sandy said...

I really wish we had an organic supermarket around here! The organic section in our supermarket is a joke!

Welcome to SITS! It great to have you in the SITStahood:0)

carma said...

I subscribed to GOOP too. And it seems it is a good thing you did or you wouldn't have bumped into those cute rings!

Stoppin' by to say "hi" and welcome to SITS. I know that you will enjoy being a part of this vibrant community of bloggers.

carma :-)

Joy said...

Charmaine, I love your name, your blue polish and your sweet rings.

And welcome to SITS - it's great to have you as a SITSta!

Ann On and On... said...

Those rings are super cute...
As a vegetarian who struggles to find good veggie stuff I am so jealous of your store.

It is great to have another SITSer! Welcome! Come on over and check out my new Monogram bag giveaway....

greedygrace said...

I love those flower rings! Funky cool!

I've only been to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, so I can't say I've been to any of the smaller places. I'll have to do some research and check some out!

I stopped by to welcome you to SITS!