Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Israel (or Oreo Cookie Pops Are a Whole Lot Harder to Make Than They Look)

Yesterday was Israel's 4th birthday! Finally! He'd been asking for a couple of months.

IMG_3636

His preschool class celebrated his birthday, I got to come and witness it even! They did it during the last 10 minutes of class. And let me tell you, preschool teachers are saints! For my part in helping them to celebrate, I made cake pops (a la' Bakerella) and Oreo cookie pops (can't remember where I saw those). And let me tell you, neither is as easy as they look. In fact...

IMG_3606

I am surprised to report that cake pops are easier than cookie pops. I did learn a few things though - in case I ever make them again. With the Oreo cookie pops - use double stuff Oreos and rather than just shoving a lollipop stick in them, untwist them, dig a little hole in the frosting with the stick and then put the top back on. That way the cookie won't break. You might even want to add a little bit of your own icing or frosting to get the thing to stick together better. And then, before you dip them in the chocolate, freeze them.

As for the cake pops, go read Bakerella to get all the instructions, but here are my little tips. When you put the stick into the cake ball, put a little bit of the melted chocolate that you will dip them in at the end in the stick before you stick it into the ball. I think that would help it stick better. Then freeze those also before you dip them.

And with both, be sure to get the chocolate ALL THE WAY around the cookie or ball - ALL THE WAY to the stick!! That will help them stay on when everything is all dry and hard.

IMG_3612

I did get some OK looking ones though. And I wanted to put his initial on them, so I bought food writer pens. They didn't look perfect, but I found after they dried a little, if I blotted them with a napkin or paper towel, the looked a lot better.

IMG_3622

The finished project itself turned out pretty good I think. But after all that work, I ended up buying cupcakes for our family party. 'Cause that's the kind of mom I am.

IMG_3667

As for gifts, he got Legos, of course. And I put them together, of course. He got Monster Mama - I was pretty excited it arrived in time!! He also got some Spiderman books and some slippers and some of our family in AZ sent some clothes and big Spiderman towel. We also got a recycled Power Wheels for him. He got in it, pushed the pedal, it jumped forward and he jumped out. He won't even come near it now. Cracks me up.

Overall, it was a good birthday for him. (Today was his 4 year-old well child check though. Not so much a good day today - 5! shots! - including tetanus and a TB test.) Anyhow, we sure love him and are so grateful for the joy he brings to our family!

Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

They still look delicious!

Lisa M said...

Happy Birthday Israel!

I LOVE your photos with this post. What camera do you use?

Charmaine said...

It's a Canon Rebel Xsi, but the secret is in the Photoshopping!

Schatz said...

You're the best....making all of those cool things. What is Monster Moma? A movie? any good?

Happy birthday to Israel!

Schatz said...

p.s. I hated the 4 year shots...the worst!

And just thought you should know that every time I see something w/ a pedestal, I think of you. Why not!

I have even purchased a green dish I keep thinking I should mail it to you. maybe one day i just might.

Brittany said...

Happy Birthday Israel! What a cute mom you are for going that extra mile for him!

Candice said...

Happy belated birthday Israel! What a great day to have a birthday! :)

Charmaine said...

Monster Mama is a book (check out the Favorite Things - Children's books post).

And thanks for the birthday wishes everyone - and happy birthday to you too Candice!