Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Favorite Things: Children's Books

So, I've been thinking of doing a favorite things series which would include stuff from around my house, kitchen gadgets, restraunts, beauty supplies, etc.  I've been putting my  lists together, which is taking a little longer than I thought, but with Israel's birthday coming up, I've been thinking about gifts.  I'm trying not to get him anything that I know he won't play with after a week and I'm really trying to be moderate.  So, it's pretty much going to be Lego's and books.  Which got me to thinking about children's books.  I have a confession - I LOVE children's books!!  The illustrations, the stories, everything about them.  So, I thought I would share with you my most favorite children's books (in no particular order).


Where's Waldo
How could I not mention this beloved little guy?  He sort of started a whole new genre of "hide and seek" books.  He's recognizable enough that he's mentioned in movies and tv shows.  And his books can entertain kids for hours - or at least 20 minutes or so - even if they can't read yet.

The Giving Tree
OK, pretty much all of Shel Silverstein's books should be included in this list.  The cadence with which he writes and the black and white drawings included with every story or poem make his style instantly recognizable and memorable.  The Giving Tree is especially sweet as it teaches a lesson about sacrifice and giving and receiving.  Personally, I think it's a metaphor for motherhood.

The Little Prince
I don't know if I can describe this one well enough to do it honor.  This is one you will just have to read yourself, if you haven't already.

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Ah, Stinky Cheese Man, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.  First, from a design point of view, I love the page layouts, use of typography, and colorful illustrations.  And second, the stories are just plain funny.  They take classic fairy tales and change them to make them silly.  Perfect for children and the young at heart!

Monster Mama
This is one we recently discovered at the library.  It's out of print now.  I know because I've been trying to buy it.  I finally found a really great deal for it on half.com.  Anyhow, Israel loves this book and asks to check it out every time we go to the library, and usually it's already checked out.  As you can see from the cover, the illustrations are a bit scary looking, but Israel doesn't seem to mind, I think because of the bright colors and sweet story, it doesn't seem so scary.  This story talks about a little boy who thinks his "monster mama" has special powers and that he does too.  Turns out, she does, just like every mama!

The Selfish Giant
I first heard this story as a little girl when my mom would read stories to us from a book called A Story to Tell, from when she was a little girl.  It's a very sweet story about learning to give and what we receive in return.  Apparently, you can buy it as a picture book, although I've never found one at Borders or Barnes and Noble.  You can find the story though in compilations of stories.  Mine is in the book, The Book of Virtues, by William J, Bennett.

Now there are many other "children's" books that I have only recently come to appreciate and love, like The Chronicles of Narnia, and some other classics, but this list was meant particularly for you adults AND the children in your lives. Something that you both can enjoy.

Now it's your turn: Show and Tell Time (or at least Tell) - What are your favorite children's books?
Hugs & Kisses from Charmaine

14 comments:

Erin said...

I love reading Sandra Boynton books to my kids because they (the books) are so fun, and my kids really enjoy them!

Edith.morris said...

I like Sandra Boynton, too. I also really love books by Mo Willems and Robert Munsch. They make me laugh!

Jenny Lynn said...

Gotta throw in, Where the Wild Things Are! Classic

Kristina P. said...

I agree with Jenny Lynn. Can't wait for the movie!

Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom said...

I love Walter the Farting Dog! Can you tell I just have boys? Yep...*sigh*

Popped by from SITS to say Welcome!!

Charmaine said...

Hooray! I'm going to have to check out some of these recommendations. And oddly enough, I don't think I've ever read Where the Wild Things Are to Israel. Poor, deprived child.

Kelly Deneen said...

Ah! Shel Silverstein! I will have to check out the ones here that I don't know. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today!

Amy said...

Ok I know I'm a freak. On vacation in the business lounge on blogger and FB but I just have to say I love this post. I have an admiration for children's books as well. I love the giving tree too. It is so good. Have you ever read the "Places you will go" by Dr. Seuss I think? That is a way good one too.

Brittany said...

You've got some of my faves on there! My kid's faves are Curious George and Magic School Bus. I love Max Luicuedo (I cry every time I read one!) and little chapter books like Flat Stanley, Junie B. Jones (that girl is HILARIOUS!) but my all time favorite book starting from childhood is More Spaghetti I Say!

The Mama said...

Okay, first thing. thanks for stopping by, you found lil ol me amongst all these wonderful blogs, I feel special.

Waldo.. it has been forever since I seen him. The giving tree too, I feel old, I can't be.. lol. Little prince, oh my. Don't remember the other 3, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, lol. I talk to my kids about cartoons and stuff I watched, like the snorkels, the jetsons, smurfs, strawberry shortcake, etc.

Again, its just Crystal and How did you do your signature? I WANT ONE! lol

The Mama said...

I TOOK YOU UP! Go take a look.. YAY! I am always up for a challenge.. he he!

Mamarazzi said...

what a FABULOUS idea! i love learning about people's favorite things!

I am stopping by to welcome you to SITS! You are going to love being a part of this community of women and playing in the SITStahood!

If you get a chance stop by my blog I am having a fun and easy contest and giving away 5 SUPER AWESOME prize packages!

number17cherrytreelane said...

The Little Engine that Could
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Where the Wild Things Are
Good Night Moon
The Rainbow Fish
Blueberries for Sal

Schatz said...

I am going to have to check some of those out...thanks for sharing!!!