Monday, March 16, 2009

Water Snob

Do you notice the subtle differences in the way water tastes?  For example, spring water is much different from filtered water.  I don't care for spring water.  And even among filtered waters, there is a difference.  I prefer Dasani over Auqafina, although I like the Aquafina bottles better, so sometimes I get Auqafina.  My sister, Chantal, prefers spring water though.  But she also used to lick rocks growing up.  Pretty sure she has some kind of mineral imbalance or deficiency or something.  

Having spent all of my life (up until June of this last year) in the west and southwest, I grew up on bottled water.  Have you ever had to drink Chandler, AZ tap water?  Gross.  Just, gross.  And where we lived in Peoria, AZ they sent out a water review every year of the local tap water.  I think it was well water, so that was why they needed to send out the stats every year.  Well, they (the water people) specifically said that the elderly and babies should not drink the tap water.  Pretty sure it causes cancer or something.  (I hope the water people don't come looking for me!)  When we lived in Salt Lake, I got away with just using a Brita filter for awhile, but when I got pregnant and all of my senses were suddenly magnified, I had to start buying bottled water.  And when we moved to AZ again, we bought the water cooler and 3 gallon jugs so that we could fill them up ourselves at the local water store.  At only 25 cents a gallon or less, it's the cheapest way to go - and I think it tastes the best!  Every place I have ever lived in AZ (as far as I know) has had a water and ice store within one mile.  Utah doesn't have that, and neither does Iowa.  It's one of the biggest reasons that I hope to live in AZ again someday.  I love Water and Ice water.  It's the best. 

Anyhow, when we moved here, Randal told me that Ames, IA tap water had been rated among the best tasting tap water in the country.  They do that?  Apparently so.  So, I tried it.  It wasn't as bad as Chandler, but still, it left a weird after taste.  I even tried cooling it down in the refrigerator - sometimes that helps.  It didn't.  So, I began buying water, because, alas, no water and ice store to go and fill my water jugs.  I could have water delivered monthly, but we go through at least a gallon a day (just between me and the baby!), sometimes more, and that's a LOT of money when you are having it delivered.  I've noticed in Wal-Mart there is a Culligan water filter machine that I can get my jugs filled at, but it's in the VERY back of the store, and I've got 23 gallons worth of 3 and 5 gallon jugs to fill.  Honestly, I don't want to be the water freak with all those jugs.  It's a whole lot easier to just buy 5 or 6 gallons and a 24-pack of water bottles when I go grocery shopping.  Cub Foods also has a water filter machine.  It's not in the back of the store, and it's also not as busy in the middle of the night.  So, I could get away with a whole lot less staring.  But, I've resisted.  Until today.  I finally broke down and pulled out the water cooler and washed it all out and put on the 4 gallon water jug I got at Sam's Club today and turned it on.  The hum of the cooling coils almost made me cry.  Now, I just need to clean out all my jugs and make a midnight run to the Cub Foods in my hoodie and Jackie-O glasses and hope that nobody recognizes me.  Just call me the water snob with the jugs. 

I love you pure, wonderful, yummy, filtered water.
PS - Pardon the freaky hair and no make-up, it's late and I'm just so happy, I don't care.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh my gosh! I once posted about my water snobiness, and how I had a Nerds candy stuck in my throat. We were out of bottled water, and rather than drink tap water, I drank pickle juice. True story.

And we are out of bottles at my work, and we are in a frenzy!!

Scary Sicari said...

Sean makes fun of me for the same thing!!! When we were dating, he tried passing tap water off in these gallon jugs that he put in the fridge. I immediately called him on it and his boys overheard. He had been telling them for years that it was filtered water from the store and they believed him! HOW DO YOU NOT RECOGNIZE THE FOWL TASTE OF TAP WATER!!!! Anyhow, as soon as we were married, we invested in a water cooler... I think that contributes to us making it this long. I tell him its good for my health, I don't drink hardly any soda when I have bottled water. I just can't find any water store or fill up places here in Maryland yet... the search is still on... I will not give up!!!

Jenny Lynn said...

I like that you post that you are going to go all covert ops so nobody notices you, but you will write about it on your public blog for the whole world to see.
you are so ironic
i love you sister

Charmaine said...

Yes, but only a couple of people here in Ames actually read my blog. And I am pretty sure that nobody who works at Cub Foods reads it. And I love you too!

Brittany said...

LOL You crack me up! That last picture just about killed me - too funny!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! so cute! ACtually, This is why I believe it is so important to have a water filter in your home. I can have pure water without being concerned about what's being added. I found my filter at http://www.lifeionizers.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C

Brittany Hall said...

Wow. :) Filtered water tastes too clean for me. I actually LOVE tap water. All those lovely minerals floating around in it. It's probably trying to kill me. :)

Tina said...

I heart Chandler water and any tap water!!!! It's the best because I drink a truck load of water a day and I never run out!!! You crack me up!!

Susan (Mommy) said...

I though I raised you on filtered water, it was not because I don't like the taste of it. When we lived in Phoenix, I loved the tasted of the water. I first started buying water because everyone we knew in our Arcadia neighborhood was dying from cancer and I just knew it was from the water. Now too many people in this neighborhood are having cancer so once again I won't drink the water. I scares me!