Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kiss Me, I'm Irish!

No really!  I'm actually Irish.  Courtesy of Mary Emma Adams, whose parents imigrated to America from Hillsborough, Ireland in 1844, I am 1/16th Irish!  I may not be as Irish as my cousin, Patrick Fitzpatrick (seriously) or as my red-headed niece, but on St. Patrick's Day I proudly claim my Irish heritage!

So, what did I do to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?  Randal and the boys and I went to Marvin and Deborah's house and had Mexican food for dinner.  Appropriate because, actually, I'm 1/4 Mexican, courtesy of 2 great-grandparents born in Chihuahua, Mexico.  But, don't worry!

We had pork with green chiles in burritos.

We had a green salad.

And Marvin made a green mint chocolate ice cream pie for dessert.

I even fed the baby green baby food!

And for my contribution, I made guacamole.  That's green!  And, because it is so dang yummy and I love you all so much, I have included the recipe.  I even took the time to take pictures of each step!

Guacamole (and Salsa Mexico!)
First you start with your base of Salsa Mexico (so named because it is red, white, and green, but you have to pronounce it like a true Mexican - "Salsa Me-he-coe")

Start by dicing 5 tomatoes into small pieces - very small!  Normally, when I use tomatoes without cooking them, I de-seed them, but with this, you want all those juices and stuff - so don't do that!  And even though these pictures are on my stove, you don't cook this, the stove just happens to be right next to my biggest stretch of open counter space.  And it was the only clean space this afternoon when I made this.

Then dice 2 jalepenos very small.  I de-seed these because the heat is all in the seeds (and veins too, I'm told).  So, if you want more heat, leave some or all the seeds.

Next, dice a medium-large yellow or white onion - the smaller the dice, the better.  And I prefer sweet yellow onions, but either yellow or white will work.

Then chop up the leaves from one bunch of cilantro.  Yumm!!!  Be sure to rinse your cilantro really well, they almost have sand and mud left on them!  And normally, I would pick off the leaves and then chop, because I'm a little OCD that way, but today I was in a hurry so I just chopped the top half of the bunch, leaves, stems, and all!

Next squeeze the juice from two limes - or even 3 if you're feeling frisky.

I only had one lime, so here's a trick to get more juice from your citrus:  Use the side of your knife to scrape the inside of the lime and get most of the pulp out.  The pulp usually retains some juice and has a lot of taste, especially in limes.  Be careful when you do this though!!

Finally, add some fresh ground pepper and kosher salt.

Mix it all up and you've got some super yummy Salsa Mexico.  You could just stop here and use it on burritos or tacos or anything!  You could also just eat it plain with chips, but we're going for guacamole!

So, get out your avocados and start slicing them in half.  You'll need 5.  Run your knife through the skin and meat just to the seed in the center and cut around the avocado in a circle.  Then twist and pull apart.  Normally, your seed will stay in one side while the other is seedless.  This one didn't do that.  I've never seen an avocado do this before.  To remove the seed, stick your knife in it and twist it out.  Normally, you would give it one good whack not with the tip of your knife, but with the cutting edge, so the knife embeds and you can twist it out.  This scares the heebeegee's out of me though.

So, I quarter my avocados and them just grab the seed with my hand and pull.  This way, it's also easier to peel because you have a point to start at and you can just pull the skin off.

Once your avocados are all out, begin mashing with a fork.  I just mash right on the cutting board.  Here's a little tip:  Hold the other end with your other hand, otherwise it will go shooting off your cutting board and onto the floor.  And that's a bummer.

Once they're all mashed, season with a little fresh ground pepper and kosher salt.  Then transfer them to the salsa and mix, mix, mix.

Then, serve in your special fiesta pottery and enjoy!

So, this makes a ton.  If you are just making enough for you and that special someone, here is the smaller recipe.
1 tomato
1 avocado
1/2 small white or yellow onion - or a quarter of a medium-large one
1/2 jalepeno
1/4 of a bunch of cilantro
juice from 1/4 - 1/2 lime
fresh ground pepper and kosher salt

PS - If Ryan H. reads this blog - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I will always remember because it's so easy.  I bet you don't remember by birthday!

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This looks SOOOOOO much better than that icky corned beef and cabbage.

Nunes Family said...

That looks so good. I am going to have to make it this week! Hope all is well with you.

Jenny Lynn said...

I'm super impressed with your step by step instructions and pictures. It looks like it came strait from the pages of Martha Stewart. You are a natural!!

Susan (Mommy) said...

What beautiful photography. I wish you had more followers. You are so talented.

Caryn said...

Wow, this looks delish! What a great guac recipe and thanks for taking the time to take all the beautiful pics. Nicely done!

Maryann said...

I am getting ready to make this. I can hardly wait. It sounds delicious!