Monday, March 09, 2009

Watch this!


Day of Faith: Personal Quests for a Purpose - 3. Rachel Esplin from Harvard Hillel on Vimeo.

Can I just tell you?  This girl is my new hero.  For such a young girl, she answers the questions with such grace and confidence, that she makes me think she has much more experience than that of a 20 year old raised in south east Idaho.  She mentions that she has been studying religion (although she's planning on switching to politics or something in addition to her major of Eastern Asian Studies or something like that), which also secures her a special place in my heart.  If anyone knows who this girl is, or knows how to get a message to her, can you please tell her that I seriously adore her - and even more importantly, I really really respect her.  She's amazing.  I'm sure she's been told all these, as this video is spreading by wildfire all over the internet, but still.  The video is about 20 minutes long - actually just a bit more - but it is worth every minute!

6 comments:

Chantal said...

I love what she said something like,
"Believing in these things is not a small thing. The belief motivates you to action, they signify a certain commitment."

Very nice!

EriKa said...

That was great!

Funny thing...
Nick's roommate at BYU was Emron Esplin from Blackfoot, Idaho. Nick visited his family...and doesn't remember a Rachel. So perhaps she is a cousin. we can get in touch with Emron, if you really are dying to get in touch with her. Got to love these mormon connection moments!

Sue said...

I liked your comment on cjane's blog frog and want you to know that your ideas about prop 8 DID translate to your fingers...very well!

Clarissa Jo Baxter said...

she has a facebook.. lol, you could send her a message. the video was great! she is very smart, and can you believe i am the same age as her! crazy!

Caryn said...

Wow, this is interesting, but someone sent me a link to Cjane, because they saw my daughter's interview posted there. Then I read your insightful comments there, which led me to your blog! I am Rachel's mother and teach at BYU-Idaho. I will be happy to pass on your sweet comments to her. We just visited Rachel in Boston, because it was parents' weekend at Harvard. Just after we arrived she was interviewed by the Boston Globe about this whole video interview craze. I think the Boston Globe found her because of the story by Steve Fidel at MormonTimes.com. If you want to read those two articles, they are listed in the top few links when you google Rachel Esplin.

Anyway, thank you for your nice comments about Rachel. She is quite surprised at the response to this interview. She did not know the questions in advance and did not know it would hit the Internet like this. She is an interesting person, and always has been full of faith and a quest for learning more about the true gospel of Jesus Christ. The interviewer, Sally Quinn, is an atheist and journalist for the Washinton Post. She too has a blog about faith and religion.

Thanks for your comments. I have not commented on any other blogs about this, but I just couldn't resist when I read your questions. :)

Susan (Mommy) said...

Charmaine, your influence is far reaching too. I am proud of you. You too are a wonderful person with good insights and a wonderful testimony. I loved watching the video and think that Rachel did a great job, I wonder if we could get her to look at www.getsamuelmarried.blogspot.com !!!