Friday, February 06, 2009

My Good News Minute

In church every Sunday, when the women all get together for the 3rd hour of church, we have a "Good News Minute" where us ladies get to talk about ourselves.  You know, brag about our kids, our weight loss, our great hair day - whatever.  Well, this last week, my "Good News Minute" was that I was not turning 30 this year.  Yes, that's right - I still got one more year to get in all those things I said I would do before I turned 30.  Like get pink hair and become a Yoga instructor.  So, this is it!  Yikes!  Well, age 29 started off pretty good.  Let me tell you about it...

First thing I did was eat a breakfast of pumpkin cookies and milk.  Yumm.  Then, I cleaned my kitchen.  The dishes and counters weren't too hard.  I got those done pretty fast, but I finally swept and mopped my floor.  I won't tell you how long it had been.

Then Israel and I made cupcakes (or coopcakes, as he calls them).  Only the finest ingredients here at our house.

We even used the dinosaur cupcake papers to make them extra special.  Israel was a big help.  He watched the cupcakes while they baked so that they wouldn't get burned or anything.

Then, Israel had to go to preschool.  So we let the cupcakes cool down and I went to lunch with Deborah.  Ahh, Fuji, my love.  I got the classic spicy tuna rolls.  They were yummy, as always, but Deborah's dynamite rolls (I think that's what they were called) - they were amazing.  Next time.  Oh, and we got edamame and salads.  I don't know what the dressing is they put on their salads, but it is so dang good!  I also got soup.  It was such a great lunch!  Thanks Deborah!

After lunch, I still had some time to kill before I went and picked up Israel, so I went shopping.  Target and the mall were the destinations of choice.  Well, that's pretty much the only choices I had.  Ames is really small.  And I use the term "mall" loosely.  There's a JCPenny's and a Gap and Claire's and an Auntie Anne's pretzels and some other stores.  Anyway, got some cute stuff. 

Then, I picked up Israel and we finished my cupcakes.  I frosted and he sprinkled.  He did a pretty good job.

Then we ate them.  Israel did so without the use of his hands.

And ended up looking like this.

See?  He really enjoyed himself.

And what's cuter than kids and cupcakes?

Kids with cupcakes all over their face, of course.

When I checked the mail yesterday, I had this from my Grammy Fuller.  She has been giving us giant cards with our names spelled out with money for as long as I can remember.  When we were little, it was coins.  Now that we're adults it's just our initials, but it's cash!  Now a boring grandma would just send you a card with the cash inside, but my Grammy puts a lot of time and effort and love into these.  They are covered with encouraging stickers and the best part of hallmark cards cut up to form one giant super special card.  And it always includes a note that makes me cry.  My grandparents love me.

That night, I got a babysitter to come over and watch the kids (first one since Elijah was born).  Then Randal and I went to dinner at The Cafe.  Let me tell you, this place almost always surprises me with how good it is.  I've gotten things a couple of times that were just ok, but most of the time, I'm thrilled with the super duper yummy food (yes, that is a technical term).  Last night, I got steak tostados.  OH.  MY. GOODNESS.  I think I might have to go back and get them again.  They were that good.  I forgot to take a picture though.  Plus it was really dark so it probably would not have turned out well.

After dinner, it was back to the mall.  We were going to try and see a movie, but with it being a school night for our babysitter, we had to get home relatively early.  So, we walked around the mall and I got some more cute things.  Then we decided to try and still fit in a movie - so we went to Wal-Mart.  Alas, no movies really stood out.  So, we got ice cream sandwiches (Skinny Cows, thank you very much) and headed home to watch Smallville, Supernatural, and the Office.

Overall it was a great birthday.  I only wish our birthdays lasted a whole week instead of just 24 hours.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Happy belated birthday, Charmaine!

And I turned 30 last year. I totally got pink hair.

Erin said...

What a fun birthday! I am so jealous you went to Fuji and The Cafe. I miss them so much! I'm glad you got to go on a date too. Who watched your kids?

Tell the Beehives hi for me!

Jennie said...

Happy bday, late. :) You look gorgeous! What a great day! On my "must try" list is a good sushi place. I'm glad you were able to go out on a date again!!

And Israel cracks me up about the coopcakes.

Deb said...

So let's just go to breakfast on Saturday and stretch your birthday out a little longer? We'll even sing to you at the Cafe!

Charlynn said...

Happy belated birthday!

Tina said...

Ah sounds like a fab birthday! I've always wanted to dye my hair pink too....maybe we should! I remember those cool money cards...how cute that she still does that. Now I want cupcakes...I'm hungry today!!!! Happy Friday.

Jenny Lynn said...

Looks like you had a fab. birthday. And you look oh so pretty! I wore a green shirt that exact color yesterday. We are kindred spirits!

Skank-ho (just for old times sake)

Amy said...

Cupcakes all over the face is the best thing. Too cute!

I like your picture in this post. Really cute. Green is a good color for you.

Glad you had a fun birthday.

A Frost said...

Happy Birthday Charmaine!! I am also so glad that I have 9 months until I turn 30.