Monday, February 16, 2009

30 Years...

And counting!  Happy Anniversary!  
(By the way, these are my parents.)

So here are some things I learned about marriage from my parents:

1 - There will be some things about your spouse that don't thrill you.  That's ok though - there are lots of other things that do.
Ever heard of "Hambone"?  Ask my dad about it sometime, just don't do it around my mom or let her know you did it.  But on the up side, my mom has been in love with my dad since she was 15.  They're soul mates.

2 - One or both of you may be crazy at some point or another during the relationship.  Just stick with it and be supportive.  And don't ever point out just how crazy the other is.  That doesn't help.  And it does get better.  
My mom had a lot of health problems for a few years - that will make anyone crazy.  And my dad was bishop for 6+ years - I think you have to be a little crazy to be able to survive that and still have everyone love you.

3 - Courtship is always important.  And romance is never dead.
Did you know my parents eloped?  They did.  They called their parents up one week and told them that they had a three day weekend coming up so they were going to come down (from BYU) and get married then.  If they could come, great!  I love that story.
I remember every Monday night during FHE business time, we would ask our parents if we were going to have a babysitter that weekend.  We had really fun babysitters, but more importantly, my parents were always going on dates, and they continue courting until this day.  
I also remember one year when I was in college, my dad and a couple of other guys in the ward surprised my mom and their wives with a vacation.  The husbands packed their wives bags and kidnapped them.  I thought that was so cute.  
And if you ever go in my parents bathroom, look on the wall across from the tub and shower.  There are some super cute pictures of my mom making silly faces with sweet little sayings by them - like "I love you" and "you are 1 hot..." something.  I can't remember exactly what it says - or maybe I've blocked it.  Anyway, they are still in love.  And because they nurtured their relationship all these years - they still know and like each other even though all their kids are adults and they have to spend time together.  
Oh, one more thing: I remember one year for some special day (anniversary, or v-day, or mother's day) my dad got my mom flowers - every Friday for an entire year.

4 - Your spiritual partnership is also always important.
My parents always say couple prayers together.  It's a great example and I can't say anything better than that.

So, although my relationship with my husband is almost the exact opposite of the type of relationship my mom and dad have (my dad is Mr. Rogers - he is so nice and easy going - and well,  Randal has other good qualities), their marriage is a great one that I try to pattern mine after.

I love you guys!  (And sorry I didn't get a chance to call you all day - I thought about you though.)

3 comments:

Jennie said...

What a cute couple! Your mom looks like she's in her 30's! What a great husband your dad is!

Susan (Mommy) said...

Charmaine I only get to look at the blogs about once a month so I am only getting to this one now. How sweet of you. I would like to point out that Daddy and I eloped to the Temple and even though Daddy is a wonderful flower giver it was Chantal that bought me flowers for a year. We do have a wonderful marriage and GREAT kids too.

Charmaine said...

I remember it specifically being Daddy, because Ryan Heward made a comment about how cool it was and that he wanted to do that with his wife someday. Maybe they both did it.