Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Smell of Rain

I love Arizona! I consider myself a native - in fact, I consider myself a 6th generation native. Don't ask Randal though cause he'll sell me out and tell you that I was actually born in Utah while my parents were attending BYU. But, because they were technically still AZ residents and because I was raised in AZ, I consider myself a native. Arizona is in my blood. My ancesestors settled much of the state and I have many ties there. In fact, all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents live in the state. Further, they all live in the Phoenix metro. (Unless they are attending school, like my sister and her family in San Diego right now.) My great grandfather was a sheriff here in AZ way back when and chased old west outlaws. Some other ancestors owned large farms in Mesa and Tempe where houses, schools, and many bussiness are now. Another great grandfather was the first (or it might be second) stake president in Safford. You know in Twilight when they are showing skyline views of Phoenix and they show that mountain in the the middle of valley? I used to live at the base of mountain right in front. I've hiked that mountain (it was hell). Anyway, I digress.

Of all the things I love about Arizona, the smell of rain is definately in the top ten. Maybe even in the top three. In Phoenix, it only rains a few times a year. Maybe 6. Usually less. So, you can imagine how I feel about a cloudy day. I love it! A couple of days I woke up to this:
A beautiful cool, cloudy morning. I went outside and what did I smell? Rain. Now, I have heard other refer to the smell of rain who do not live in AZ. Let me tell you that the smell of AZ rain is very distinct. I am told that it comes from the creosote bushes. That when it begins to rain they do something weird and it emits a strong smell. It's beautiful, and much much stronger in the summer time, but none the less, there it was that morning. The faint smell of rain in the air. It was glorious. And it did rain that day. Just a little. Perfect.


3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It does look beautiful!

I'm glad to see you've returned. The blog world misses you!

Anonymous said...

Have to say I too love the smell of rain in Arizona and in New Mexico. Not sure if it's the creosote bushes or not, but I like it and brings me firmly back to my childhood. Nice memories - thanks!

Deb
who is too lazy to log in with google/blogger

Susan (Mommy) said...

Me too.