Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Six Bean Casserole

This is the recipe from yesterday.  Sorry, no pictures though.  And although it's called a casserole, we eat it more like a stew or a chili.

1 can pork and beans
1 can hot chili [I use turkey chili and usually add some extra chili powder]
2 cans green beans (drained)
1 can wax beans (drained)
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained) [I rinse and drain both these and the great northern beans, but I'm pretty sure when my in-laws make it, they don't]
1 can great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can tomato soup
2 lbs sweet turkey sausage [you can use pork, but I really prefer the flavor of turkey and I use one package which is usually pre-prackaged in 1 1/4 lbs]
1 large onion chopped [when I am done browning the turkey - I usually use a little oil to brown it in, or some Pam - I soften up the onions in the fat and oil that is left, then you don't have to cook it for as long.]
1 1/2 cups celery, finely chopped [I hate cooked celery, so I just add some celery seed]
2 tbls mustard [I always just eyeball it]
1/2 cup brown sugar [Randal doesn't like his quite so sweet, so I usually only use a couple of heaping spoonfuls]

Put everything in a baking dish and put in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
[I put everything in a GIANT crockpot for 2-3 hours on high - or a GIANT pot on the stove on high for 20-30 minutes or so...  This is why softening those onions beforehand is important.  The real recipe says to add 1 small can of tomato sauce to the mixture when you pull it out of the oven, but I add one regular can of tomato sauce to the mixture when I add everything else.]
Optional: Serve topped with bacon.  [I've never done this.]

--------
This recipe is great for those who like sweet and savory combos or who like sweet meats.  Randal and I LOVE this recipe and now that we live somewhere so cold I get to make it a whole lot more often!  Plus it's full of all those good for you beans and when you use turkey, you're getting good protein.
(OK, I don't know if any of it is actually good for you, but I feel oh so good when I eat it!)

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It sounds really good!!

Michelle said...

Well that sounds easy and fun, doesn't it? I bet I could even get the wee ones to eat this.

And thank you so much for coming to visit my blog. Today has been so much fun and so lovely to see the response and fun comments. I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed my blog and come back to visit soon!