Saturday, January 31, 2009

I love me a good conspiracy theory

Like, did you know Paul McCartney is dead?  Yeah, the real Paul McCartney died in 1966.  (I love crazy people!)  Or that the moon landing pictures are faked?  (Must be the earliest form of Photoshopping!)  Or that the moon is fake all together?  (Did I mention I love crazy people?)  Or that there are  pyramids on the moon?  (Lot's of moon conspiracies.)  Or that once upon a time in our very own galaxy, Mars was populated?  But, I didn't google any of those yesterday.  


Yesterday, I googled "Toynbee Tiles."  Every heard of these?  Well, some crazy guy has been all around the world - well, a bunch of US cities and Chile, Argentina, and Brazil - laying these tiles made out of Linoleum, tar paper, and some other stuff in busy intersections and streets in major US cities, usually downtown or in business districts.  While most of them say "Toynbee Idea in Kubrick's 2001 Resurrect Dead on Planet Jupiter" a few have been found that are just ravings of an obvious social schizophrenic.  There is even a documentary being made about these tiles and the mysterious tiler.  What I love about these is the combining of art/design with such an urban and mundane thing as streets.  Not to mention that the most popular interpretation of these things is that people who died here on Earth can be "resurrected" on Jupiter and populate that planet.  Apparently that is a theme of 2001:Space Odyssey, although I've never seen it, and a play by David Mamet entitled 4 A.M., which I've also never seen.  Toynbee was an English historian who some say believed the same thing, but some say he's more about the resurrection of perfect civilization or government or something like that.  Google it for yourself.  And read about the tiler's mad ravings tiles too.  He seemed to be afraid of the U.S.S.R. (which didn't exist when these started showing up, by the way), communists, Feds, the media/journalists (hey, me too!), and Jews (well, mostly just John Knight).

And of course, I had to mention something about the Cardinals in the Superbowl!  The last time the Cardinals won any NFL title was in 1947.  And if the Steelers (boooo!) win, they will set an NFL record for Superbowl wins.  Now, I can't remember the last time I watched any football game, let alone the Superbowl, but I think we HAVE to watch this Superbowl.  GO CARDINALS!  Oh, and did you know that I grew up (well, from age 7 on) just about 2 miles away from the Cardinal's training field?  It's true.

(Thank Shannon for the image.)

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have never heard of this tiler guy! So interesting!

Amy said...

I question the landing on the moon. Why haven't we ever gone back?