Friday, March 27, 2009

Flash Back Friday/Intro to The Wall: Randal's First Day Home

Let me introduce you to the original Twitter/Facebook Wall/Blog:

This is the wall of what used to be my closet in high school.  As you can see, my mom now uses it to store holiday decorations and lots of other stuff.  But that whole wall has short little journal entries and one liners from each of us girls.  I think Samuel even posted something in there.
Well, here is what my Flash Back Friday is all about:

The whirlwind that was our courting.  The whole entire week of it.  That's right one whole week.  Actually, I'll probably only do the day he came home.  I'll leave you in suspense for the rest of it.  (Leave 'em wantin' more!) 

So, I always said that I would never date a boy who had been home from his mission for less than a year, and that I would date a boy for at least a year before I got engaged and that I would be engaged for at least 6 months before I got married.  Yeah, well, never say never.

The day he got home, he had invited me to meet him at the airport, but I just couldn't get out of work until noon and his flight came in around 11.  And I didn't have his phone number, so there was no way for me to call him.  I just had to wait until he called me.  Which he did that afternoon.  He invited me over to see him and run some errands with him - seeing his bishop and some friends and stuff.  When I pulled up in my 4-Runner, I remember thinking that I hoped he was impressed that I drove a stick shift.  I even wore a skirt because I knew he appreciated a girl in a skirt.  It was all so silly.  This is what I wrote about it in my journal:

Sunday, October 27, 2002

Well...  Randy is home.  Tina called me last night.  Apparently Chris [my cousin] told her I was engaged.  Well...  I'm not.  I think that in Randy's perfect world, we would be though.  He called me Wednesday night [the day he got home] and we hung out until almost 2 o'clock in the morning.  He started joking about marriage that night.  Towards the end his exact words were: "There's no doubt in my mind."  I was freaked out.
That night, we drove to his bishop's house (who remembered me!) to his friend, Brennan's, family's house, where I got to meet all them.  Brennan was attending BYU so we didn't get to see him, but I had met him a couple of times before Randal left on his mission.  And Randal got to talk to him on the phone while we were there.  I'm pretty sure we also drove to my family's house so they could all see him.  He flirted a lot and kept saying little one-line innuendoes about getting married and such.  It freaked me out, but I soon learned that that first night was mild compared to what he had in mind.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That's awesome. Too bad that you guys didn't get paid out for the original message board.

Loving the stories of you and Randall.

And loving the new header!!! You have such amazing talent.

Schatz said...

love these stories...keep them coming. I love reading all about your love & your falling in love stories, they're great! Thanks for sharing!!!