Wednesday, December 17, 2008

12 Days of Christmas - Day 6


6 Cups of Karo Syrup:

5 Yards of Wax Paper:

4 Cups of Sugar

3 More Yards of Wax Paper

2 Pans of Caramels:

&
A Non-Stick Pizza Cutter:
~~~~~
Recipe: Caramels

4 cups of sugar
3 cups of Karo Syrup
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
2 cups of cream (divided)
5 tsp Mexican vanilla (or twice that if you are using regular)

Combine sugar, Karo syrup, butter and 1 cup of cream in a large pot.  (I mean huge, when sugar boils it doubles in size!)  
Boil.
Then add the other cup of cream and the vanilla.
Mix everything all up.
Cook down to 248 degrees Fahrenheit
Pour into a greased (you can use butter) sheet cake pan (the cookie sheets with the lip).
Let cool.
Cut up into bite size pieces with your non-stick pizza cutter.
Wrap in wax paper.
ENJOY!!

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That pizza cutter idea is ingenius! I wanted to make caramels this year, but didn't want to cut them with scissors.

Amy said...

Thank you for posting your caramel recipe. I haven't been able to find mine since we moved and I'm always hesitant to use any that I find on the internet because sometimes they come out way hard. Yours look delicious and I'm definately going to make some.

Erin said...

Oh man! I'm way to scared to make caramel by myself - I want it to be perfect like my mom's always was, and I don't want to feel like I wasted my time if it isn't just right.

Eat a piece for me!

Mommy Madness said...

Yummy, thanks for the recipe! Love the headers of each of your 12 days posts.

shanny said...

White sugar? Thanks so much for the good idea! Yours looks so pretty, I want some! how much does this make? Thanks again!

shanny said...

hey was your caramel chewy or hard? mine was hard, bummer.