Friday, December 12, 2008

12 Days of Christmas - Day 1


One Fallacy

The 12 days of Christmas are not actually the 12 days before Christmas, but the 12 days after Christmas, leading up to Epiphany.  5 points to anyone who already knew that.  I'm going to do the 12 days leading up to Christmas though.  I think it's a fun way to get into the Christmas spirit!  So there you have it.

&
One Question Answered

What is Google Reader?
The best thing to happen to blog stalking!  Google Reader is one of the many wonderful services that Google offers.  (There are tons, like Calendar that you can share with family and friends, Analytics to track stuff on your blog or website, GMail, Blogger, the list goes on and on.)So, with Google Reader, you are able to manage "subscriptions".  You "Add a subscription" - which can be the addresses of blogs you regularly read, or pretty much any site with an RSS feed.  For example, I have lds.org and stepheniemeyer.com also on my subscriptions list.  It is so much easier to check one place for updates than it is to check 116 places.  Yes, that is how many subscriptions I have (stalker, much?).  

Plus, if you add your own blogs to the subscription list, you can find out how many people subscribe to your blog.  All you do is click on your blog and then there is a little button in the top right corner of your blog that says "Show details."  It then opens up a little space at the top of your blog with a few statistics one of which is "Subscribers."

With Google Reader, you can also organize your subscriptions into different folders.  Google Reader also updates when someone new posts something.  For example, I usually have about 8 different web windows open at any given time (in tabs of course).  Google reader is one that is almost always open because it alerts me when someone has posted something new - kind of like email alerts.  Plus it also keeps track of blogs you "follow."  I'm sure you've seen this fairly recent addition to blogger - the "Followers" box you can put on your sidebar.  Well, Google Reader makes a whole file just for blogs you "follow."

So, there's my little Google Reader Tutorial for you all.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I didn't know about the subscribing to your own blog thing. I'll have to do that right now!

I'm excited for your 12 days!

Kristina P. said...

I would be lost without my Reader. It makes me cry a little in the morning, when I see how many blogs I have to read.

Zen Ventures said...

my hubby uses google reader and was convincing me to do it but I'm just stubborn about it. I probably should since its' really hard having millionth of windows open to read :)

shanny said...

As long as I don't have to get a number imprinted in my forehead or on my hand to use it, then OK. But it seems a bit too creepy. Call me old fashioned cause it will probably take me a few months to sign up ;)