Sunday, November 02, 2008

Baby Shower

Today I got to throw a baby shower for a friend in my ward who is having a baby girl this month.  It was so fun!  I love throwing showers!  One, because it's kind of like comfort food.  It reminds me of my mom and my sisters and helps me to feel close to them even though we're far away.  And you know I called to them to get tips and ideas!  And two, because I get to use all of my pretty things that I have been collecting since I first got married.  I have discovered that with all the boys around me, I feel more girly, but I don't know that they much appreciate all the girly things I do and have, so when I throw a pretty little party like this, it's my time to show off and feel a little more like a princess!  (Plus, I get to buy fun new stuff to use - don't tell Randal!)

PS - I totally forgot to take pictures before the party got started, so these are of all my pretty creations half way eaten.  Oh, well.

It all started with the invitation.  I had quite fun with this one and my announcements for Elijah's birth use the same background, but in blues instead of pinks.  (I still have to get those sent out!!)

Pumpkin Cookies on a pretty glass cake stand.  I just lovelovelovelove the glass balls around the edge.  I'm sure there is a technical name for this style of glassware, but it eludes me.

Rum cake truffle - served with my beautiful silver serving spoon I only get to use a couple times a year.

The whole table.  Notice the apothecary beverage jar.  My favorite find!  It's so pretty and the spigot sits up high enough to fit a regular sized cup underneath.  You can't tell from the picture, but the glass has a diamond pattern cut into it.  It's so so pretty!

My luncheon plates.  They have a grape pattern on them.  I found 39 sets (plate and cup) at 3 local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.  I was pretty excited about these too.  They make me feel so like a 50's or 60's perfect little house wife with heels and lipstick.  (Even though I wore neither!)  They also remind me of my mom and grandma (along with the acrylic grapes behind them.)

By the time everyone left, I was all worn out so Elijah and I took a nap.  When Randal came upstairs after the party, this is how he found us and thought we were cute enough to snap a picture.  Awwww.


-----
Shower Recipes:

Pumpkin Cookies:
1 box spice cake mix (just the mix)
1 15oz can pumpkin
1 bag cinnamon chips (or chocolate)

Mix ingredients and drop onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake 18 minutes at 375 degrees


Rum Cake Trifle
1 box pound cake, prepared according to directions.  Add 1-2 Tbls of imitation rum to batter.  Bake in cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.  When cooled, cut into squares.
2 3oz boxes of vanilla pudding, prepared according to directions.  Add 1-2 tsp. of imitation rum.
Strawberries cut into quarters.

Layer ingredients in trifle bowl.


Breakfast Casserole
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1/4 lb honey ham, diced
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup Bisquick
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry onions and ham in a frying pan till heated through and just barely browned.  Put in bottom of lightly greased (even the non-stick kind) round cake pan, along with bell pepper and cheese.
Mix egg, milk, Bisquick, and salt and pepper in a bowl.  Pour over veggies, cheese, and ham.
Bake in 400 degree oven for about an hour, or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
Serve on a pretty cake stand!


Shower Punch
2 gallons of orange punch or other citrus flavor
2 liters of ginger ale

Mix and serve.

------
PPS - Thanks Deborah and Tracy  and Madeline for so much help!  Deborah made the yummy apple spice bread and the fruit tray with dip (mm, mm).  And all helped to clean up afterwards.  If not for them, my house would still be a mess - and probably for a week or two more.

4 comments:

Chantal said...

pretty! I also love the little-ball-ie cake stand. The recipes look yummy! How did the Breakfast casserole turn out?

mindy said...

Charmaine throws the BEST showers! Ladies take note: If you want to have the cutest, most thought out shower...beg Charmaine to do it!

Baby Shower said...

What great looking food. Once the guests arrived I'll bet you couldn't get any pictures of them intact. Did you play any baby shower games? I find that baby shower games are always my favorite part of the baby shower with the exception of the food, the mom, and the baby of course.

christinemm said...

Love to see you napping with your baby! Those days are gone for me since my boys are 8 and 11.

I clicked through from wefeelfine.org. Congrats on making it to the site!