Saturday, September 27, 2008

Introducing...

This is a pretty bad picture, but I haven't got the camera with me to put a good picture up (this one is from my phone).  I'll do it later though, I promise!  Anyway, here he is!!  Introducing: Elijah Thomas, born Tuesday at 4:26pm.  Labor and delivery went really well...  It's since then that we've had problems.  Elijah is still in the hospital, the night he was born, his respiratory rate went too high and his white blood count went too high also, so they put him the NICU to watch him.  Because his resp rate was so high his pulse oxygen went down too low, so they had to put him on oxygen.  He hasn't been able to eat anything because they are afraid of him aspirating the fluids, so he has been on IV fluids.  A chest x-ray showed that he had some wet spots on his lungs, so they started him on antibiotics also.  They also did a blood culture - we're still waiting on those results - I guess they take 48 hours or more.  I'm not exactly sure of all the details - I rely on Randal for the specifics.  So, as of this morning, his respiratory rate has finally come down into normal range and his pulse-ox is staying high without the help of extra oxygen.  His blood tests have all come back normal, but now he has developed jaundice.  So, they have him under those special lights - at least until tomorrow.  We should be getting another chest x-ray today or tomorrow to see how his lungs look.  If there are still some wet spots, they'll have to treat him for pneumonia - a 7-10 day treatment - here in the hospital.  It's so strange, because our little Elijah looks so healthy.  He's not a little premie baby, and until this morning, he has had really good color.  He's a pretty mellow baby too.  I mean, he's had his moments, you can tell he wants to eat, but mostly he just sleeps or looks around.  I've been able to hold him and rock with him at least once every day - which is nice.  He just looks around and sucks on his pacifier.  Hopefully sometime today he'll get to nurse!  Hooray!  

Other than all that, we're doing really well.  My parents are here, so that has a been a HUGE help!  The staff here at the hospital is so great.  I've even been able to stay here in a private room as a guest, even though I was discharged on Thursday.  When we have Israel here, the NICU nurse will call us and let us know if there are no other babies in the nursery so that Israel can go in and visit his baby brother.  Israel actually got to be there for the birth!  He did really well and even though he may not remember it later in life, it will be a cool story to be able to tell both of them.  Randal's mom also flew in Monday night, so she got be here for the birth.  She had to leave Wednesday though.

So, I will update again when we know more!  LOVE TO YOU ALL!

5 comments:

Nunes Family said...

CONGRATS!!!! I hope everything gets better soon for your little guy!

Candice said...

We are happy for you, and will keep little Elijah in our prayers.

Chantal said...

I am so glad he is doing better. He is very cute, we are exited to meet Eli!

matt and brynn said...

I'm glad he is doing better. I am excited for your new addition. Israel is going to love being a big brother. I hope things continue to look up.

Jennie said...

Oh goodness! What a drama to have to go through after giving birth. I'm glad that the dr. is taking good care of him so that he'll be healthy and fine once he's able to go home. It's sad that he's not able to nurse yet. Are you pumping? I'm glad that you have the help you need and are able to stay at the hospital. We'll keep your family in our prayers!